Thermometers:3 "Accurite"- all different! Set up /Arrrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mominoz, Mar 10, 2014.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Am setting up my Hovabators (2)- In past years I had the little thermometers that came with them and added an "Accurite" or 2 , plus used a meter of hubbies on a wire ....This year one of the accurites was toast.(got wet). So I bought another (only thing to be found in town)...and put both And my home/inside temp/outside temp all in one , trying to get the air holes (of the thermometers) at the same level all next to each other in the middle.....And.....I am getting 100, 102, 103 depending on the thermometer!......as I am doing Duck and Goose eggs....I need 101-102 anyway...
    I also had 2 jars of water to stabilize /thermal mass and have been checking for 24 hours now.... I even am trying to use a human digital to see which one is"right"...
    Suggestions or what can I get on Amazon quickly ????? [​IMG]

2. ls430fl

ls430fl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    I can tell you I just bought one of those Accurite thermometer/hydrometers from Lowes and I am returning it. Does not give accurate reading. Tested against two calibrated ones I already have and it is way off both on temp. and on humidity...

1 person likes this.
  3. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I also had one of those ~~Accurite thermometer/hydrometers. The Accurite hygrometer wasn't even close. bought a really nice temp/Hygrometer off e-bay that is a Drieaz DHT200 for $60.00 and originally $200. wanted to not worry about inaccuracy. I had (4) types that I tested humidity and the closest one was reading 48% when it should have read 70-75%. Way to far off from what it should have read.

4. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I was having the same problem. I got an aquarium therm. Then calibrated it in ice water. and it was right on. I will keep it as my primary them. The one on my incubator (Genesis) read higher than the aquarium one. So I fix it so the aquarium one read 99.5. I am happier now than when I had 5 in there all reading different. LOL

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    IMO Accurite is neither Accurate or right! I use an old fashioned mercury rectal thermometer as my gold standard. It has to be about 35 years old, and I gave one away... I will not part with the remaining 2!

6. mominoz

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    After purusing Amazon for hours reading reviews....I just want something accurate....last year I ran incubarors all summer , trying to figure out how to run them properly...I still got a 30% hatch ....first year ,figured out they were in a room with too much fluctiations in temp...etc...and the humidity issues...sigh...
    I just want to know what is the most economical , but accurate way to figure out temps!llll
    Suggestions?

7. sonoralinda

sonoralinda Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Sonora, CA
    I think the floating type of aquarium thermometers that have a suction cup on them are very accurate.

8. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

They will sometimes be a degree or two off, but you can calibrate it to see just how much it's off and adjust accordingly.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I even find a bit of variation in aquarium thermometers... At one time I had 11 tanks in my house! My gold standard is an old fashioned medical thermometer, then I do the +/_ to correlate to the temp of what ever thermometer I'm using that will be easy to read.

10. mominoz

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    So, I bought a childs medical thermometer that is digital and you put on forehead,uses batteries and keeps prior reading , as it was all I could find in town that might be more accurate. By putting it on the top of my eggs, I can get a reading that says 98.7, course my Accurites (2) (I took the indoor/outdoor out, not feasible) say 100 and 102 layed on top of eggs next to each other.
    Spend more time reading and researching to try and figure out what to get... I finally found 2 mercury thermometers I sent for and am looking at other probe/digital and medical ones. Seemed like the medical ones might be calibrated better for small amounts, hence why I bought a digital human one..... Reviews and calibrations and how much variance seem to be all over the place.....
    I already have both Hovabators full of eggs and am swapping the gauges and taking temps....sheesh, I will candle Sunday and see if anyones viable.... Now I know why the "homemade" incubators may work better.... you can put a thermostat on them that you can program....course, I am wondering if anything is accurate.....and where to find it and how much is it?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by