Thermometers/Hygrometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by byrandom, Feb 18, 2009.

1. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    I was just wondering what everyone else was using? I'm looking to purchase a few more just to ensure that I'm doing everything correctly. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Thanks!

2. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    I started with the digital Springfield one from Walmart and that was a disaster...someone on BYC told me to get an oral temp to verify accuracy...the Springfield one from Walmart gets a big thumbs down...it was waaaay off...

I then ordered from tractor and supply (although they do sell them in their store) a thermometer/hygrometer bulb by Accu-Rite...Absolutely perfect! It matched the oral thermometer temp wise. I then bought a third thermometer/hygrometer from Ebay..not sure who makes it but its reading for both temp and humidity matches the Accu-Rite one...This is my first hatch so I'm hoping for the best...hope this helped!!

Barb

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The $6 Springfield from Walmart is accurate enough for our RH purposes.

Good thermometer, calibrated at around 99F is essential. Fortunately it needn't be expensive, because calibration at 99 is easy.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I got my only hygrometer from Radio Shack. I should have gotten another one.

It's too late now, but I do know that the ones I have ready to hatch are growing and some of the eggs are rocking.

5. pepper48_98

pepper48_98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Tulsa,Ok
    I agree with twigg, I bought the $6.00 springfield from walmart and am very happy with it. I also have two other ones and they are within 1/2 degree

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

While my incubator is still under construction and development I just ordered 2 Springfield units so I hope they are accurate. I ordered tow because I figured I would split the difference between the two.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use 1 Springfield and 1 Accurite in my incubators both do a great job!!

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The accurite is a few bucks more, but just as good. They have bigger numbers, so it might be better for some.

FWIW, my $200 Amprobe Psychometer returns very similar figures to the $6 Springfield [​IMG]

9. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow, that must of hurt to realize that [​IMG][​IMG]

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Wow, that must of hurt to realize that [​IMG][​IMG]

Heh ... no.

The Amprobe is useful for a bunch of stuff, and how else would I know my cheapies are reliable?

Besides, I got it cheap [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by