Thermometers in HovaBator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daisychick, Feb 10, 2009.

1. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a thermometer and hydrometer combo in my bator but it has to be put on the side by the wall because of my egg turner. And then I put the cheap one that came with the bator on top of the eggs.

The digital one laying by the edge of the wall says 97 degrees and 44% humidity. The one laying on top of the eggs fluctuates between 100 and sometime it hits 102 !!! Do you think I should turn down the heat????? I am worrying about the higher temp reading. But the digital one never reads that high. Oh and this is a still air incubator.

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Is it still or forced air?

3. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    still air

4. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    the cheap one that came with the bator is junk.. imo. I wouldn't trust it at all.

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:In a still air, a temp of 102F at the top of the eggs is normal.

What do the instructions call for?

6. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:In a still air, a temp of 102F at the top of the eggs is normal.

What do the instructions call for?

Ok that makes me feel better. I am having a hard time getting any thermometer to stay on top of the eggs. Egg turner makes them fall off. SO when I actually got one to stay and it said 102 I got nervous.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I put my accurite digital thermometer on top of the eggs. I lay a decent size piece of hardware cloth over the eggs and put the hygrometer on top of that, just under the window so i can see it really easily with a flashlight. Never caused me a problem yet. I would think the temp would vary quite a bit from the sides to the middle. I have a hovabator still air and there is a percentage that just develop too slowly and don't absorb their yolks. I'm not sure if it would be better to open the bator and rotate the eggs, or leave it alone and lose a given number.... anyone? Bueller?

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:In this situation, I would fit a fan to the Hova.

Kits are available at a modest cost, PC fans can be adapted even cheaper.

The other idea seems to be an excellent one.

9. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    yes I have thought of trying to install a fan. I think it would be easy and would help with the hot spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by