Thermometers readings-- ok temp?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by agto, Apr 9, 2012.

1. agto

agto New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    I'm using a styrofoam box to make an incubator. (I am completely new at this.) I have a digital kitchen thermometer and one that I bought from Menards that is a thermometer and hygrometer. I'm also using a water heater thermostat and pc fan.

So my thermostat shuts the light off when my digital thermometer reads 100 degrees F. And the hygrometer/thermometer reads right around 100 as well. The digital thermometer then quickly drops temp until it's around 90. But the thermometer/hygrometer goes down a lot slower.

Is this ok? Any tips?

Thanks.

2. linkedsilas

linkedsilas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Durham,NC
    Im new to hatching eggs as well and all I can tell you is that those digital thermometers will drive you INSANE. I found myself checking the 2 different ones all the time and then being neurotic about which one was correct. I finally added an old fashioned non digital thermometer in there and just adjusted the temperature between the 2 digital and look at the old one for piece of mind.

3. agto

agto New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    Thanks! Yup just going off the off fashion thermometer but using the digital as an alarm if the incubator gets to warm.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I highly recommend using old school glass thermometers over digital.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by