Thermometers? Which ones right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilBantams, May 1, 2016.

1. LilBantams

LilBantams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    I have a digital and a glass thermometer in my incubator. The glass one reads 100 and the digital reads 101.6... Which one should I trust? The 101.6 worries me... I candled my eggs a little while ago and they were all perfectly fine and moving. The only problem was was 6 of them were not fertile. None of the embryos had died (Knock on wood).

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    If you don't have a large amount of "early quitters" (embryos that leave a blood ring/halo; death before 5 days) that is a good sign. Early quitters can indicate too-high incubation temperature.
    Have you calibrated either of these thermometers using a test like the ice water test?

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Is your incubator still air or forced air? If it is still air, I would leave it alone and not worry about it because they are recommended at 101-102 and that temp would be perfect. 100 would be a tad low, but still ok, and at most would cause a days delay in hatch.

If it is forced air and you can adjust it down one degree so the glass is at 99.5 ish and the digita at 100, that would be perfect and a win win situation.

Now if the glass one goes down to 32F I'd do an ice water test on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by