Thermometers????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken_crazy93, Jan 8, 2011.

1. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    I am hatchin my first ever eggs in an incubator. I got a Brinsea 20 with turner for Christmas & I have a Hova-Bator that I borrowed from a buddy of mine. Both incubators came with a little thermometer, the little kind like you would use for a person to check their temperature. I bought two of the hygrometers from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/thermo-hygrometer-with-clock-96417.html & checked them with the Honeywell thermostat on my wall for the C H&A. They both were about a degree off so I put one in each bator & adjusted accordingly. When I compare the temps to the little thermometers that came with the incubators there is a big difference. The little thermometers read about 101 F to the digital ones from Harbor Freight that read 99.5 F. Right now I have the little thermometers that came with the bators set around 99.4-6 F & the other ones are readin around 96.8 F to 97.4 F. Which one would you hatch with?

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    The thermometers that came with the bators....little thermometers on flimsy plastic cards??? Pitch 'em...not worth squat! [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    So what are some of the better thermometers & hygrometers to use for incubating, I just pick them up locally but I am just not sure how accurate they are. I have had good hatches but I really want to be sure and right on the money with these numbers.

AL

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I would NOT recommend the digital thermometer/hygrometer from Flukers. It was 25$ and is not worth a cent.

5. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

Quote:I know people say this all the time, but, I have to say, I have two other thermometers in there and the little one that came with the Hovabator says the same thing as those two do. And, no, I don't think all three are off. I use it as a back-up if it reads true to others, mostly because it fits nicely on top of the eggs with the plastic attached to it.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I share your pain. I have 5 thermometers and each of them read differently - as much as a 5 degree difference from highest to lowest! If mine were only .5 degree off as yours are, I'd be happy. Interestingly, although they all read differently at normal room temperature, when I put them in the incubator and turned it on, the differences narrowed to within a degree. [​IMG]

7. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    WOW! Thank ya'll for all the help. I'm gonna use the digital ones & not pay any attention to the little ones that came with the bators. I'm gonna set my Brinsea with the fan on 99.6 & the Hova-Bator still air on 100.6. I have the auto-turn cradle for the Brinsea & the auto-turner for the Hova-Bator. The humidity is stayin around 41-43%. On day 18 when I lock down I'm gonna jump it up to around 65%. We shall see & I will post how it turns out in about 18 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by