Thermometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenhatcher89, May 29, 2008.

1. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I have 2 Acurite digital thermometers in my incubator along with an Acurite mercury thermometer and another similar to it. I am getting a different reading on each one and don't know which one to trust. One says 99 another 104, 100, and another 96. I have an LG 9200 Still Air incubator. Have had great hatches with it up until the last few days when all of Polish eggs did not hatch. I candled them and they seemed to be about fully formed.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Rebecca [​IMG]

2. DaveMN

DaveMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Moose Lake, Mn
    the thermometers may be just fine. do you have them all next to each other or do you have the probes/sensors in different parts of the incubator?
    i know that before i added the fan option to mine i had hot and cold spots. after adding the fan it evened out and i had better hatches.

I forgot to mention that since i was not to sure of the thermometer i had in the incubator I purchased a Brinesea digital. it has a probe that i could slide into one of the vent holes and check temps with. Gave me peace of mind that temps were fairly consistent throughout.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Yes I know what U are saying. Seems like at times I had more thermometers in the bator than eggs. Well I fixed that! I ordered a ASTM 18F thermometer 94*-108* 1/10 degree divisions from Philadelphia Instruments $35.00 plus shipping, this had to be the best money I ever spent! Its about 11" long but is not a problem. I have 2 bators and this what I judge all others by. [​IMG] [​IMG] http://www.philadelphiainstrument.com/precisioncalibratingthermometers.asp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by