Thermometors, and hygrometers

waibel zoo

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Sandy, UT
I am probably obsessing but my digital tep reads 102 but the analog reads 99. My digital reads humididty at 50% but my analog reads 60%.

Should I just take the average of the two? I have forced air. Both kinds are brand new out of the box. I am confused.
hmm.png

Quote:
Don't take either at face value and don't "average" them. Humidity you can get by with slightly off readings, but temperature needs to be fairly precise.

You need to compare both of your thermometers with an accurate one...most people use a medical thermometer (the kind you check your temperature for a fever with). The analog isn't a problem as you can dip both it and your medical thermometer in a slightly warm glass of water and compare readings. The digital one will be a little more problematical to check because you will have to place it in your incubator along with a glass of water and let them both sit for several hours so that wate gets to the ambient temperature of the incubator...then check it with the medical thermometer....or you can make a hole in your incubator to stick the med thermometer in to take a reading. If your incubator thermometer reads a degree lower than the medical you know you need to mentally add another degree to it's reading, likewise if it reads high subtract the difference.

The hygrometers need to be checked using the salt water method...place 1/2 cup salt water and enough water to completely wet the salt (about 1/4 cup) in a coffee mug, place this in a large ziplock bag along with the hygrometer. Let sit for 8-12 hours and check the reading....it should be 75%. If it reads 71% then you know you need to add 4% to the reading....if it reads 81% you know you need to subtract 6%. Simple, eh?
smile.png

Here's a thread I started a while back dealing with the combo thermometer and hygrometer units and some tests I did on them... Wallyworld Digital Thermometers/Hygrometers .

Hope some of this helps!
Best wishes,
Ed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom