1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thermostat in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Big_Charlie, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Big_Charlie

Big_Charlie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Fulton, KY
    I'm planning out my coop design and had the idea of putting in a thermostat to control a heat lamp or other heating device in the winter to keep it warm enough for the ladies to keep laying without leaving it on full time using expensive electricity.

Has anyone here ever done this? What did you use for a thermostat and how well does it work? Could you also use the same thermostat to control a ventilation fan in the summer to keep it cool (relatively speaking)?

Thanks,

Big Charlie

2. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    You would want to have the thermostat trigger a contactor, motor starter, or relay, and then use it to power the heat lamp and fan assembly.
    You would want to set it up so you can use manual switches after the relay to choose one or the other in winter and summer, since the temp range will be so extreme.

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We just use a timer to turn on our heat lamp at night and turns it off again in the morning.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you really want a thermostat, why not use one of those preset thermostatic plug cubes you can get for heat tape etcetera? You might have to ask around a bit and endure some "huh?" and blank looks, but there are several models on the market. Try Home Depot type stores and farm stores, anywhere that heat tape is sold. The only thing is, make sure they can handle the wattage of a heat lamp, I dunno for sure about that.

But frankly I think it would be infinitely simpler just to use a timer, or a lower-wattage bulb such that they can cluster under it if they're cold or wander off if they're not.

Good luck,

Pat

5. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    Quote:I believe you would want something that you can set the cut in and cut off temp. setting, I don't know for sure but the "cubes" may not allow you to do that.

My post above wasn't very descriptive I know, but my general idea is to allow you to set a thermostat like you would in your house, and the manual switches would allow you to choose heat/cooling depending on winter or summer.

In the winter you would have your heat come on at say... 45 and cut off at 55 or so, but in the summer you would want your fan to come on for cooling at say 85 or so.

It would really be pretty inexpensive to set that type of system up.

I quit really thinking about this system for myself because I decided to go with one of the electric radiator oil filled heaters, which has it's own thermostat, so now I'll just need to do the fan for summer, with a single thermostat or maybe even a pancake.

6. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    the plug one is called a thermocube. i use one for my heater and waterer. they come with different temp settings. you can not adjust it. mine is on at 35 and off at 45. I have not given them any extra light ant they havn't slowed down laying. i got mine online it was less than $20 including shipping.

7. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
  8. Big_Charlie

Big_Charlie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Fulton, KY
    Ok...that Thermocube would be infinitely easier to setup than a regular thermostat, and then just swap it out for a 78 degree one in the summer for a fan. Nice.

Big Charlie

9. kj7ty

kj7ty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2008
    Lake Stevens, Washington
    Hey Big Charlie: I'm new to chickens, but am a licensed electrician. I'll draw you a basic schematic for wiring a thermostat for heating, and a separate one for cooling. I'll e-mail it to you. It's real easy to do. Not too expensive either. Take care, Mike

10. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    my coop has a roof and wire sides, and in cold weather i put tarps and heat lamps up and they free range in the day time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by