thermostat mod that worked! Thanks to someone and theyre Link.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kapie9969, Oct 11, 2012.

1. kapie9969

kapie9969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    I put together a new incubator and used my old hardware except for a new styrofoam box.
    Anyhow ive only hatched once before with just over a fifty percent success,i had a lot of problems getting the temp. to stay between 98 and 102 degrees.So with the same thermostat i was having problems again.Then i saw something about mods for water heater thermostats.It was basicallt to drill a few holes in it.So i did this and wow! now im staying between 100.4 and 100.5! the light does pop on and off a lot but its great.
    I couldnt find the post here to thank someone for the link,it was on youtube under incubator modifications.
    I drilled four holes around the small wafer in the silver cover,it helps air to get to the wafer,is how it makes the thermostat more sensative.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Congrats on the new incubator. To help hold the temp longer - you could add jars of warm water with lids on to work as heat sinks. Good Luck on your next hatch.

3. kapie9969

kapie9969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    I have a solid brick under the light,thats what my thermostat rests on,for my heatsink.

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Great. Hope your hatch goes wonderful : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by