Thermostat Not Working Right

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kajhurley, Aug 12, 2010.

1. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Using a water heater thermostat and cant seem to get it to cycle the way it should gets to 102 degrees and i manually shut it off. Drops below 95 and i have to manually turn it on. I have the thermostat mounted on a piece of flashing inside my incubator. Somebody got an answer?

2. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    Hi i dont like useing water heater thermostats i cant ever seem to get them at the right temp mine would cut on at 93 and cut off at 100 and that was just not working i finally replaced it with a little giants thermostat and now it holds a temp of 99.5 all the time you could also try a wafer thermostat they are like $10 to $20 if you order them online off ebay.

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same problem and fixed it. I put a ziploc sandwich baggie with water in a glass, then put my probe or sensor on the thermometer in the glass. Make sure the probe or sensor is surrounded with the baggie of water. A water wiggler also works but I can't find any around here. The water temp around the probe maintains its heat steady. My thermostat comes on at 99.3 and shuts off at 99.6.

4. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Mine don't have a probe. It just sits on the side of the water heater at the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by