Thermostat Not Working Right

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kajhurley, Aug 12, 2010.

1. kajhurley

kajhurley Songster 8 Years

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Using a water heater thermostat and cant seem to get it to cycle the way it should gets to 102 degrees and i manually shut it off. Drops below 95 and i have to manually turn it on. I have the thermostat mounted on a piece of flashing inside my incubator. Somebody got an answer?

2. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    Hi i dont like useing water heater thermostats i cant ever seem to get them at the right temp mine would cut on at 93 and cut off at 100 and that was just not working i finally replaced it with a little giants thermostat and now it holds a temp of 99.5 all the time you could also try a wafer thermostat they are like $10 to $20 if you order them online off ebay.

3. I had the same problem and fixed it. I put a ziploc sandwich baggie with water in a glass, then put my probe or sensor on the thermometer in the glass. Make sure the probe or sensor is surrounded with the baggie of water. A water wiggler also works but I can't find any around here. The water temp around the probe maintains its heat steady. My thermostat comes on at 99.3 and shuts off at 99.6.

4. kajhurley

kajhurley Songster 8 Years

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Mine don't have a probe. It just sits on the side of the water heater at the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: