Thermostat on homemade 'bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I'm online today to buy a better thermostat for my incubator. I'm not happy with the 8-10 degree temp spread my hot water heater one provides, so thought I would buy one that was made for incubators, with the thought that it would turn light on faster, and keep temps in a 3-4 degree spread.

I'm totally confused, though. I still want to use the lightbulb for actual heat, and don't want to mess with wafers. I was looking at M MC M, and they have this one on this page (it's 3GS.. sorry, can't link just to the pic for some reason)

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/replacement_parts.html

Would that work? I don't quite understand where I hook the wires to.. maybe through those two small holes? Or is this just part of the wafer-setup?

I know there are a ton of people on here with homemade incubators. For those of you not using the Hotwater heater thermost, or the wafer-type, which one did you buy?

Thanks!
    Meghan

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    What wattage light bulb are you using?

When I was dialing in the thermostat I started with a 25w bulb and had the same temp swing you are.

I now have a 40w and my temp swing is from 94.8 - 100.4

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Megan, I did not use a thermostat at all. I bought a dimmer switch. I use a 25 watt bulb and it is necessary to dial it down about 1/2 way in my homemade styrofoam incubator. The dimmer method is not an automatic so you need to be able to monitor it. It will keep the incubator pretty steady in a room with little variation in themperatures. Central heating is a necessity. I am thinking of getting the water heater one for a new hatcher I made but I was concerned about the wattage of the bulb. I am going to look for a 15 watt bulb. The dimmer switch I bought at Lowes, I can't find anymore, but you just plug your light into the dimmer and it has a slide on it and you plug the dimmer unit into the wall socket sort of like and extension cord. The slide dims the light it is pretty neat. I have only used it for hatching so it was not as time consuming as if I tried to hatch the entire 21 days with it.

The wafer will control the light as well or anything else that you use to heat with but I have never been fond of the wafer units. With enough experience you can learn how to control them but for beginners they can drive you insane.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The thermostat will work, and yes just skin the wires and stick in the holes..Oh and GQF manufacturing has the same one for $6.95....

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Make sure you plug it into a surge protector, Temps will stay more consistant.

6. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    thanks guys!

Rooster Red- can't seem to locate the package, but *think* it's a 40 watt. It's one of those tapered bulbs, not a reg one.
    I could be wrong, though. I'll buy some 40 watt tomorrow, just to be sure (and it'll give me backup anyway)

jimnjay- Good info to know. I thought about the dimmer, but I can see where vigilance would be needed. Currently have the 'bator in the most consistant room in the house, and temp still swings from 61-69. Glad you said that about the wafers, will defin. keep that in mind.

Pine Grove- Pm'd you.

Brooster- I'll pick one of those up tomorrow as well. As old as my wiring is, that could defin. be an issue. I have a bunch here.. somehow though they all have some use or another!

Meghan

7. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Personally I don't like over 1 degree fluctuation. I would rather pay a few more $ and get a thermostat made for the application.[​IMG]

8. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Queen, I have replied to your message..

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Wonder how much fluctuation there is under a broody hen?

10. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I really have no idea. But if it is possible to keep it within 1 degree without a problem, Why not? Works great for me and I have most of my hatch rates in the 90 percent range. Works for me..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by