Thermostat Question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bornacentury2L8, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    I have a home made still-air bator and am using a water heater t-stat. I have read where one person says leave the back exposed to air and another says put metal behind it. I have a mine mounted to a piece of sheetmetal and its working well. It's day 14 and I have 21 out of 24 developing well (2 weren't fertile). I am going to install a fan for my next batch and wondered if it will make a difference. If you don't "believe" in using this type of t-stat, please don"t reply with some condescending rant. [​IMG] If you want to preach, go tell it on the mountain. [​IMG] I just want good advise . Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I just hatched my first egg and cleaned out my bator in time to put the next day 18 batch in when I did I put a small cpu fan, to small really but I have noticed onced I played around with it and had it blowing from one side of the light across the light and at the hot water heater T stat my temps are between 97-101 and thats a lot better then the 90-101 temp with out the little thing in there. I also put a light little throw blanket across the top and draped o ver the back and sides scince the top of my stryo chest dosnt close securly.
    GOod luck.

3. jeffro29

jeffro29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    southeast nc
    I put an old computer fan in my homemade bator checked all my temps and the thermostat on the wall of the cooler( not real tight)
    seems to work well. All my test runs have been good, now just have to get eggs. With the fan it cycles maybe four times an hour if that. jeff

4. Bornacentury2L8

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Quote:Do you have anything covering the back of the t-stat?

5. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Quote:I'd wait to decide about changing anything till your hatch is done. If you hatch 21 out of 22 then don't change anything. jmho.

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I would never use water heater thermostat.

Some people swear by it some don't.

Water in your water heater does not need to be regulated within 1/2 degree Farhenheit does it?

That should tell you some kind of the story.

Just a personal opinion.

If you are one of the people of this board claiming 100% hatch rate with water heater thermostat, all I can say is:

Good luck, (you'll need lot of it)

7. Bornacentury2L8

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    I haven't claimed anything yet. I actually said I lost 1. Have a super day! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  8. plumberroy

plumberroy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009

Water in your water heater does not need to be regulated within 1/2 degree Farhenheit does it?

Just a personal opinion.

If you are one of the people of this board claiming 100% hatch rate with water heater thermostat, all I can say is:

For the record 20 years ago I hatched chicks in a Styrofoam box the neighbor got frozen steak shipped to her in, a electric candle (christmas type 4 watt bulb) taken apart and an oral thermometer
    no thermostat at all .
    If memory serves me a water heater thermostat has a differential of about 2 degrees (see user name) I doubt if a real hen can stay that constant. I see no need to put it on sheet metal, but would not put the back tight against the styrofoam for the record the water heater thermostat is a snap disc type thermostat same type as used in commercial incubator just enclosed
    Roy

9. Bornacentury2L8

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.

Just a personal opinion.

For the record 20 years ago I hatched chicks in a Styrofoam box the neighbor got frozen steak shipped to her in, a electric candle (christmas type 4 watt bulb) taken apart and an oral thermometer
    no thermostat at all .
    If memory serves me a water heater thermostat has a differential of about 2 degrees (see user name) I doubt if a real hen can stay that constant. I see no need to put it on sheet metal, but would not put the back tight against the styrofoam for the record the water heater thermostat is a snap disc type thermostat same type as used in commercial incubator just enclosed
    Roy

Thanks! That's the information I was looking for.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow! Let me be the first to say Happy Hatchin', good luck for a super good one! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] etc!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by