Thermostat trouble

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jwatts, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I am just about done building my new incubator, im having trouble with the thermostat. If the temp is low and you start to creep up, all of the sudden the temp wants to skyrocket.Im having a hard time fine tuning it. Has anyone had trouble like this before? This is the thermo im using. http://incubatorwarehouse.com/bi-metal-egg-incubator-thermostat-kit.html Im thinking of trying the Wafer thermostat, do they need to be in the incu or can they be mounted on the outside? thank you

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Thermostats need to be inside the incubator. As close to the heat source as you can. Having a fan behind the heat source and thermometer in front works really well.

3. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    imgoing t ry to us a wafer thermometer in the incu and see it that helps better.

4. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    The bi-metal type thermostats (including water heater thermostats) were not designed for incubation. Wafer thermostats work great.

5. wantedman66

wantedman66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    connecticut
    They can be altered to be just as accurate as wafers,all I use is the hot water stat with no variance in temp

6. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Do you put the hot water stat in the incubator? do you have to open lid/door to adjust?

7. cannedman

cannedman New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    South Central Kentucky
    They go inside the bator. On mine I drill a hole in the back and use a screwdriver so I don't have to open the bator. Make sure if you are using the water heater thermostat you do the modification with the extra holes drilled into it. I have started using this thermostat and it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Tem...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a78a1ca36

8. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks cannedman, i just put a wafer thermo in and it seems to be working great. Now i just have to figure out how to keep the humidity up, my fan seems to be blowing pretty good, i may need to put a deflector in it.

9. cannedman

cannedman New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    South Central Kentucky
    Are you doing the dry hatch method? What I have found that works great is a meat injector. You just insert it into one of your vent holes and insert a small amount of water until you get the humidity to were you want it. Just make sure you don't get the water on the eggs.

10. Not true on the "as close to the heat source as possible" this is only the case with a water heater thermostat.

As for the op...I suggest you stay away from bi-metal and try a standard wafer thermostat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by