Thermostat????????

lilwhispers

Songster
12 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Idaho
I am working on recycling an old fridge into a bator. What are your suggestions for a thermostat would rather not use a wafer system unless I get alot of rave reveiws. I have ordered two thermostats off of ebay same kind but they wont hold temp in a large styrofoam cooler they are ranging between 107 and 90 without touching them. Here is a pic of what they look like.
6414_thermo.jpg

Any suggestions?

I'm using the same thing, $10 at lowes or HD.

The reason it's all over the place it because you dont have any mass to soak up the heat and stabilize the heat. I did the same thing and it was from 80-110 till I put a bunch of jars of water in there. Once the water came up to temp the unit stabilized at 99-102 and now with the eggs it's at 99.8 to 100 ish. The more mass the more stable it seems...

That thermostat will work but you need to set it to turn the heat element on at about 99*F. After that move the thermostat closer to the heat element till it cuts off before the incubator reaches much over 100*F becouse of direct heat off the element. The thermostat will quickly drop back to air temp an kick back on at 99*F again.

So what you are doing is making the thermostat cycle off at a set time frame an not a set temp. You are using only the kick on temp as the temperature control.

Back
Top Bottom