1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Therree hhheeeeerrrrrreee... most of them.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by congdon476, Jan 24, 2009.

1. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    OK- so the shipment was a day late getting in and temps dropped greatly last night. So we lost 4 right away and I'm sure there's another 4 on their way out. Of the 3 GLW, 3 SLW, and 1 Buff Orp. in my order we have 2 SWL, 1 GLW, and 1 BO (that I brought back from the brink) that appear healthy and eating on their own. Plus, of course, a dozen little packing peanuts that all look like RIR. Some of those guys are already establishing pecking order. I am still debating on keeping them long enough to see who's male vs female... never know when you might get lucky. It also appeared that the box had been crushed a bit on one side where the DOA's were located. Could have been done long before the cold weather last night. Anyway- here's some photos.

[​IMG]
    The gang

[​IMG]
    My DD tooks some photos for me... she's 5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They find food fast!

2. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Hello,

Congrats on the babies!!!! I wish you the best of luck with them. My 26 layers are coming from MurrayMcMurray next weekend! Did you call and tell them of your losses? You could get a refund if you wished to.

Fresh Eggs

3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Oh yes- I called ASAP and left a message. They either weren't open yet, or don't answer on Saturdays. Leave more room in the coop for when I get Miss Prissy's bator finished up and get some eggs this spring.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the babies!!! I'm so sorry that you lost a few [​IMG]

My 15 packing peanuts were just way to much for my brooder. When I first set it up, I was thinking 10-15 chicks...not 27! So I called my local feed store and they took 10 of them and found them new homes.

5. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I have a local mom who is willing to come and take the packing peanuts off my hands this weekend. This way I can dedicate more attention and space to my wyandottes... and lone orpie.

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay!! They're so cute!!

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Sooo...not counting the packing peanuts, you ended up with four??!! And some of them are looking poorly?? I hope no one else dies. Have fun with your new chickies.

8. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Quote:Correct- without packing peanuts I ended up with 4. It's a small start. Thus far- everyone looks good. As I said- leaves more room in the coop to become a hatch-a-holic. Gotta look at the bright side.

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Decent pics for a 5 year old! Looks like you have a future photographer on your hands. Soon she will ask you for the $500 camera body and $2000 each lens.... [​IMG]

10. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Soooooooooooooooooo cute!!! Sorry bout your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by