These are dyed, right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by watchdogps, Jun 11, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Um, yes, they are artificially dyed. Too bad that person didn't tell the buyers that. Some might think they hatch that way and expect babies in those colors.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

4. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    lol how can they advertise a rose silky and not worry about where the thing will wind up. That's just their sneaky trick to get people to spend $10 on their chicks.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

6. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    wow, I've seen the ordinances in city codes that prohibit dying chicks, but I always thought "how stupid, why would you dye chicks?" I guess people do...

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They should be saying that the color will disappear with the next molt. But CL posts aren't exacly the fount of honesty....

8. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I colored my house chicken for Easter. She was Hot Pink and she thought was was a real DIVA. She has been molting and is now a light pink. I used koolaid and food color. No harm done to her at all.

Here she is with one of her babies peeking out
    [​IMG]
    By emvickrey at 2011-05-18
    [​IMG]
    By emvickrey at 2011-05-19

Some people think it's silly but I think as long as somebody isn't trying to pawn them off as actually being the color they've been dyed no harm done. Also as long as they don't use any chemicals on them. I was on a thread where somebody wanted a silkie in their wedding and it needed to be dyed pink. I thought that was so cool to include the pets in the wedding. Sounds like something I would do. Shoot, they would be my guests. lol

9. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Dye doesn't hurt the animal. It's harder to find a toxic dye than a non toxic one.. it's illegal though in some parts because people take offence to making animals seem like toys in order to sell them. I have no qualms really with the coloured chicks hatcheries put out around Easter - a lot of those chicks would have been discarded for being male and ground up anyway if not sold off as a straight run novelty.

What I DON'T agree with is dying an animal and trying to sell it with the impression it would stay that way. So I flagged that persons ad. It's clearly deceptive advertising or they'd use the word "dyed" on there. Somewhere. Instead of just listing the colours they come in - as if they'd stay that way. What they did was the equivalent of dying puppies and claiming a rare/exotic breed/colour. What bothers me even more is a lot of them look like roosters too. [​IMG] Which tells me this person pretty much raised up a ton of white silkies, kept the hens and dyed the roosters hoping the pretty colours would get them sold at double their worth.

10. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Seems to me that it's a pretty dirty way to sell birds to folks who do not know any better. I hate dishonesty.

As far as dye for Silkies, I'm so tempted to use some Kool Aid on my whites. Maybe next year for when I take birds to visit my son's special needs classroom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by