These are EEs, right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by diana_of_the_dunes, Jan 4, 2011.

1. diana_of_the_dunes

diana_of_the_dunes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    St. Joseph County, IN
    I got these two girls from a friend's sister, who said they were Ameracaunas. I don't know if she bought them or bred them, since my friend picked them up for me and I never had an opportunity to speak with the sister. She said they are both laying and lay blue eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 seems to have all the markings of a silver Ameracauna, but has little mini-wattles and no muff.

#2 is blue and red and has a muff, but doesn't seem to conform to any color standard for Ameraucanas.

Since many hatcheries sell EEs as Ameraucanas, I'm assuming I have mutt chickens that lay blue eggs. Also how can I tell if they've started laying, since they don't have any wattles or combs to speak of? Or is #1 still pre-point-of-lay, since she has wattles but they're small? I'm used to my brown egg-layers with big red combs and wattles!

I'll try to get better pics tomorrow.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    On these hens you're looking more for the redness to the comb and wattles, vs size like a single comb bird. I'd say they're both laying.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Look like Easter Eggers to me. Congratulations! [​IMG]. Mine were about 24 weeks give or take a week before they started laying. There is suppose to be a way to tell by looking at the vent to tell if they are laying, but not sure what to look for, I've never tried it. Most EE's do not have much wattles to speak of. Most I've gotten do lay a green egg, a few lay bluish and some lay brownish or pinkish eggs.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like two pretty Easter Egger hens. [​IMG]

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Both are EEs, as others have said. I have one like your brownish, grayish one. We call her Pigeon because her color reminds me of some wild pigeons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by