These are going to grow up to be black australorps?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ausdotte, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ausdotte

Ausdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2017
    I've just hatched out three australorp chicks, well actually I didn't a silkie did :p I was hoping to get a blue one, can you tell at this stage what colour they are going to turn out? black chicks.jpg

2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

All 3 of those are the Blacks. If you are looking to get the blues, check out the color genetics of the parents on them.

RyanfromPA likes this.
  3. Ausdotte

Jun 26, 2017
    I have a blue rooster, four black hens and one blue one. I'm pretty sure that one of those came from the blue hen egg, but I gather having two blue parents still only gives you a 50% chance of having a blue chick?
    So a blue chick would look like a lighter colour than those?

4. BlueBaby

Yes, the Blues are lighter in color than the Blacks are. They will look more greyish in color. When you have a Blue chick next to a Black chick someday, you will see the difference. Blue with Blue can also produce a Splash chick, although that is only a 25 % chance of that happening. The Splash one's will look a yellowish-white in color at hatch.

5. Ausdotte

Jun 26, 2017
    Okay thanks.
    I haven't had good fertility with these australorps, I've got a manly looking rooster but he seems a bit inept at fertilizing the eggs. Is that a common problem with australorps or is it just mine?

6. BlueBaby

How old are they?

7. Ausdotte

Jun 26, 2017
    The rooster is about 10 months, the black girls about 8. I don't know how old the blue one is. He seems so clumsy and rough and the hens look like they are having a bad time.

8. BlueBaby

Yes, the roosters can be rough on a hen if you only have 5 hens to keep him "busy". A rooster can handle 10 hens. When there are only 5 hens, the hens will be getting double of his hen attention, and can get over bred. See what I mean?

9. BlueBaby

By the way, congrats on your hatch! I have some of mine due to hatch over here on Sunday.

10. Ausdotte

Jun 26, 2017
    I suspect that he likes some of the hens more than others :D Apart from his ungainly mating he does try and look after his hens, shows them where the food is and where to lay an egg.
    Thanks. Good luck for Sunday.
    dorian.jpg

BlueBaby and SOHC-FTW like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by