These are my 2 babies:))

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenlady08, Aug 17, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    [​IMG]

Is it possible to see if they are boys or girls?

They are such sweet Embden and I am happy they were in the livestock store in May.

2. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Not without turning them upside down and vent sexing them. I don't know how to do it myself, but have seen pictures. It sounds "easy" till you get to the part about turning a full grown goose upside down, FINDING their vent in all those butt feathers, keeping them upside down while you search, and then squeezing the area around the vent to make the genitals pop out. Oh, and holding on to them while squeezing their vent, while they're upside down. No thanks!

If you have a female, by Feb or March next year, she will begin laying eggs. There are other ways to make good guesses, by voice and behavior, but unless you already know what a goose or gander act like/sound like, it's just about impossible. If they were hatched in May, they will be old enough to lay eggs this coming spring.

Other than that, assume they are whatever sex they seem to you [​IMG] the geese don't care. I had a gander for years that I was positive was a goose who was a late bloomer in the egg department. She was the first Petey Girl (I have the second one now), and she/he never cared that I had it all wrong [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by