These are my two new chicks at 7 days old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bobbieschicks, Aug 17, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Picked up from a woman who breeds & sells olive egger hatching eggs. I believe she said she has BCM roos and SA hens. She pulled them from her clutch to sell to me as brooder mates for my little AC. I thought she said Smokey was an Araucana and that Bandit was Maran - but I don't see them matching up with the chicks on those breed threads and they don't match the olive eggers either.

Can you tell what breed or mix these are at 7 days old?
    Thanks
    Bobbie

Smokey - does not have a tail
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bandit
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    looks accurate to me

3. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I think they're both olive egger mixes. Bandit does not look like a BCM chick. They are black with a white chest - I had some this spring. Bandit has a brown head in the picture.

Many people mistakenly call easter egger mixes Ameraucana or Araucana. Araucana is a true rumpless bird - no tailbone. I'm guesing Smokey just hasn't grown tail feathers yet. Olive eggers typically have some Ameraucana/Easter egger in their background to get the green in the olive color.

I'm not sure how the woman thought she could get pure breeds from cross-breed mating? If you breed a St. Bernard and a Chihuahua, you don't get some St. Bernards and some Chihuahuas, you get puppies that have varying characteristics of both parents. If she only has one type of roo, BCM, and one type of hen, SA (what is SA?), then the chicks will all be BCM/SA mixes.

They look cute, though. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I hope they're girls, or boys - whatever you want them to be.

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thanks for your replies - while she breeds for olive eggers, she doesn't just have one roo and one hen. And I'm not sure what the makeup is of her flocks or which flock she gathered these two from as she just brought two 3 day old chicks to meet me. I'd love for them to be olive eggers or something other then white egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by