These are supposed to be Rhode Island Red hens...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DianeS, Sep 28, 2010.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    And I'd just like confirmation of that from the experts! I bought them last night. These are not great photos but they're the best I have as the chickens are still skittish of me. Please let me know what you think.

These first three are each exactly 4 months old (hatched end of May):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is a bit over a year old, finishing her first molt:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    They look just like my RIR's

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Where did you get them from?
    As for the first 3.
    They aren't very good Rhode Island Red they look very much like a Production type of Rhode Island Red.
    They lack in type, tail color and leg color..
    A Rhode Island Red pullet should have a blocky/ brick shape look to them. From what I can see from the pictures they should have more Black in there tail and Red in there legs..

If I was to call the anything I would say that they were Production Red's or a Hatchery Type Red...

Chris

4. DianeS

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm not sure I'm concerned if they're really Production Reds instead of RIR. As long as they're not something that looks similar but produces only about half the eggs. I chose RIR because I wanted a lot of eggs, winter hardiness, egg production in winter, and a breed that would not be overly friendly.

I got them from a farmer who keeps and hatches a large number of them for eggs and meat. The coyotes have no fear this year and killed too many - some in broad daylight while she was standing right there. So she's selling off or butchering most of the flock to decrease their interest in her property. I paid $15 apiece.

Anyone want to reassure me that they're pullets and not cockerels? [​IMG]

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    They are all girls, breathe easy now. [​IMG]

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I always qualify everything by saying, "I'm no expert...", but they all look like pullets to me.

7. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    they look just like my 5 production reds.

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    They look like Production RIR to me too. Don't worry about they laying ability of production reds...they are incredible layers of large brown eggs. Laying ability is what they were bred for. That last bird (the one in molt) looks like a New Hampshire Red to me.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The last one looks like a red star (sex-link) which would be quite possible to get from someone raising alot of birds for meat. She should be a superb layer as well.

10. DianeS

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone. I'll let my taste buds prepare for the eggs that will start arriving in the next month or two, then!

I'll post another picture of the mature hen after her feathers are all back in, and see if the opinions are any more in line with each other then. She looks a bit of a mess right now. [​IMG] Even I know that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by