These babies should be easier to identify

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mimi’s 13, May 15, 2018.

1. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 Crowing

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    I ordered 24 chicks, 20 different breeds, from Meyer Hatchery back in November for an April delivery. In those almost five months I read everything I could to learn as much about the little, hand chosen sweeties, in hopes that I would “know” them when they arrived. In addition, four and a half of those months were spent building my dream coop to house the littles along with my current small flock of four, wonderful hens.

Jump to April 18th when I excitedly answered my phone at 7:12 a.m. I made it to the Post Office, in record time, to the sounds of precious cheeps coming from the back room. I hurried home to love on all my babies and to see just who was who.
    Wow wee, was I a proud momma! I had a boxful of sweet chicks and most of them looked like...........
    little chipmunks.:th

Thankfully, five of them were banded and identified for me, but those weren’t the chipmunks. So I quickly opened up the Meyer Hatchery Chick Identification page. I scrolled to all the breeds I had purchased. I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled...again and again! No luck.

Well, here I am 4 weeks later and I’m still stumped on a few. However, as I made each chick’s picture, I believe I was finally able to pick out my Welsummer pullet and cockerel and my Speckled Sussex pullet. :yesss: It’s funny how just a couple of days ago my Welsummer pullet and cockerel did not really resemble each other. I guess I was looking for exactness. (Whew, I was able to swipe a little sweat off my brow.)

But now I can’t take the suspense any longer. I need help identifying my three remaining “chipmunks,” a Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, and a Buckeye.
    Just a side note: the one I thought was my NHR (#1) sure is looking like a little roo.:hit Just look at that comb and wattles. I surely hope not though. And since I’ve already made them, I have gone ahead and included the pics of my Wells (#4, cockerel and #5, pullet) and Sussex (#3). BTW, the little Wells roo is so precious! Just in case I’m wrong, please correct me. In pic #6, I included a comparison pic of the two that still have some “white” on their heads, on the bottom right.

I thank everyone for any and all help! I do have pics of ALL my sweeties, but I thought I’d spare everyone the myriad of chick pics! :love
    Here are my pics:
    903CCE75-96F4-409B-9426-FCCE8DA4BA20.jpeg 0533B522-3CF4-4EC0-BF2C-48F525D34129.jpeg BA9F3EFB-C3A0-4D9B-9C0E-6CECBABF6B5F.jpeg 92D06CA8-9A77-4727-8DB9-31BB9503549E.jpeg 87ECF575-40DF-4A7C-8077-AD0A34689975.jpeg 7F9AD208-1A1C-4C4A-AAEE-755499B713F8.jpeg

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I don't know the difference between young RIR and NH. My guess would be the RIR is number 2, and the NH is number one but it could be the other way around. Number 1 is a rooster, 2 a pullet.

3 is a speckled Sussex pullet

4 is a welsummer rooster, 5 a welsummer pullet, and 6 I think is your buckeye, it should have a pea comb, and looks like a pullet.

3. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 Crowing

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    Thank you so very much! It was wonderful to know who my babies actually were when I went out to the coop this morning. I was able to call them by their names: Ruby, the RIR, named after my grandmother; and Nettie, the Buckeye, named after the developer of the Buckeye; and well, I suppose my NHR, Scarlett, can become Scar now. The little sucker is already more aggressive than I’d like, so he may be a short timer, we’ll just have to wait and see.

I honestly can’t believe I didn’t think to check for comb type on my Buckeye. That is how I figured out the difference between my Barred Rock and my Dominique.

Thank you, thank you again, so very much @oldhenlikesdogs !

4. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I agree with @oldhenlikesdogs

also, there's a naked neck in the background of one of those pics... I hate to point out, but it has a large comb. I know you weren't asking about it, but it may be a cockerel as well.

5. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 Crowing

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    Oh yes indeed, you saw correctly. I was planning on only three roos, a SLW, Welsummer and Naked Neck. However, it looks as though I now have a fourth one, if my little NHR continues on the path it’s on. :eek: With only 24 hens the 3rd roo is a bit much, but the 4th? He’s definitely overkill! Oh me, what’s a chicken lover to do?

6. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    You could always buy more hens and even out the numbers a bit more ;)

7. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    ChickENABLER!!!!!!
    :ya:ya

8. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    I don’t know what you mean :oops:. It’s an honest option :lau.

Mimi’s 13 and Frazzemrat1 like this.
  9. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 Crowing

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    Oh lawd, don’t you know it. What would that be, 40 hens for 4 roos? I just can’t. My brand new Chicken Chapel was just built for 30 birds. Never, and I say never, did I think I would come close to that on only my second purchase of chicks. But, I’m still planning on hatching a few of my own Olive Eggers. :fl

drumstick diva and Frazzemrat1 like this.
  10. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    You could also build or buy a little bachelor coop as long as the roosters all get a long and rotate who’s with the hens depending on who you want breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: