These bantam Cochin chicks have me stumped.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinetown, Jan 31, 2012.

1. pinetown

pinetown Out Of The Brooder

Normally I can tell if my chicks will be male or female by their behavior, before I see any visual signs. This batch of six chicks was hatched in October and so far I've only been able to decide on two of them (they are not pictured). These four have me stumped. They are always well behaved, I've seen no little rooster dances or jestering. One day I'm sure they are all hens the next I'm convinced they are roosters. Today, I think that it's half and half. What do you think? Their father was a mille fleur cochin and the mother a calico cochin. Are these buff Columbians?

Thanks,
    Janice
    in the Sierra

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    2nd looks like a pullet and the others cockerels but thats just a wild guess on these 4

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Buff Columbian Pullets

4. I think that 1 and 3 are pullets and 2 and 4 are cockerels. (The only thing that would make me say cockerel for #4 is the posture, if he/she usually has an upright posture, it's a cock.)

5. pinetown

I was sure that everyone else was going to be able to look at these four and know what they are. Now I don't feel so bad. It was easy when I had only barred Cochins and I could tell by their stripes.

Thanks for looking and giving my your opinion.

Janice

6. So, how did they turn out? Could you post pictures of them now?

7. pinetown

They are all hens. Yeah! I always have more roosters than hens, so I couldn't believe that they would all be hens. I had 5 hens out of six chicks.

Janice

8. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Nice! Pretty girls....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by