These Black Orps have me stumped See if you can guess

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BamaChicken, Jul 1, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    These blacks are around 4 months. My DH says cockerals. I think pullets but not sure as I have had late bloomers before. See what you think. They are in with some 4 and 5 month olds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now here are some pics of some just barely five month old Black cockerals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I don't have this breed but they sure look like my pullets. You will know in about 8 weeks when they start to lay. Or not! They should have also been crowing long time ago if roos![​IMG]

3. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    You know I would have thought that too if i hadn't had a black orp cockeral that didn't crow till he was about 7 months and didn't get a prominent comb and Wattles till then either. I had saved him cause i thought was a pullet.
    I sure hope these are pullets cause they are taller than the older blue and splash in the pen.

4. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    My bet is one Cockeral and one Pullet..

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

[​IMG] Whatever they are send them my way [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Something about them shouts pullets......My black roo from yours was very hard to tell gender for quite awhile too....and he did not crow til he was almost a year old...

7. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Curt you are probably right. I have been leaning that way. I have been looking for spur nubs and tail feathers but still uncertain.
    Sandy I sure would love to see a pic of that cockeral again. I bet he has grown a bunch since you last posted a pic of him.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I see one is like a rooster but the rest hummmmmmm! That really got me thinking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by