These broody eggs HAVE to be dead, right? help. *PIPPING!* *BABY PICS*

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
We have a Silkie that went broody somewhere between 22 and 28 days ago. We didn't really notice that she had been sitting in the same spot until she had probably been there for a few days. She is a new chicken to us and I wasn't expecting a broody, and she's our first...anyway I wasn't paying attention as well as I should have.

She had 7 eggs that I marked. Two have since been kicked out the nest and opened up to find nearly fully developed chicks. The last one we opened was on Monday and folks here thought it looked pretty close to hatching.

For the last few days another Silkie has been sharing the nest. They don't seem to be fighting over the nest, just sharing it. The other Silkie is definitely broody, though.

There is NOTHING going on with these eggs. The last time I candled them was 4 days ago and I did see movement. However, there is no peeping, no pipping, no zipping, nothing. While I don't know exactly what day she started, I know for sure it has been longer than 21 days.

What should I do? Leave them a few more days? I kinda want to open one up and see what's going on, but of course if there is a live chick in there, I would feel horrible. If I end up taking the eggs away, what on earth do I do with these two crazy girls? DH and I both work during the day and I can't be out there every hour lifting them up off the nest. I'd just give them some different eggs, but Megan has been at it for at least 3 weeks and I'm afraid it will be too hard on her to keep brooding for another 3.

Help me wise ones.

Last edited:
Do they smell bad? If not LEAVE THEM. Good luck
big_smile.png

Since you are not 100% on when she started and since you saw movement the last time that you candled, let her go a few more days. I would not let her go another 3 weeks.

No, they don't smell at all. I just freshened up the coop and gave the girls a new layer of fluffy shavings and they were both really irritated at me and let me know it when I moved them for like just a second! They seem to think there's something worth sitting on.
roll.png

Can you break a Silky of broodiness? I'll do a search...
caf.gif

Good job. You can get a silkie to stop being broody. Just take the eggs and put her on the ground for a few days. It worked for me. Ive had mine for about 8months been broody 5-6 times.

yeahh!!!
good thing you didn't start crackin... :
congratulations....
i have snapped a broody out of her sittin by dipping her legs and butt into some cold water (it brings down their temp and they forget what they werre doin) it's worked more than a couple times.

We have a baby! One teeny weeny but fully dry and fluffy chick is tucked up under one of her mommas. The other three we are still waiting on.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom