These broody silkies are gonna drive me nuts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TinyLittleFarm, May 6, 2011.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have 3 one year old silkies. One has a teenage baby she is still taking care of, but the other two have gone broody again. This is 3 times since January. I've tried to break them, but darn they are determined! I gave them each two eggs. Don't tell my husband. [​IMG]

I know silkies are known for being broody, but good grief!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Wow! I don't really know how to break them from being broody, but I think that if you just keep pulling the eggs out from under her, she should quit being broody (for a while at least). P.S. I won't tell! [​IMG]

3. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Well, what's four more chicks, right? [​IMG]

The irritating thing is that they each have taken up residence in their own nesting box, leaving just one for the other girls to lay in. They have all decided to boycott said nesting box and are laying their eggs next to the feeder in the coop. [​IMG]

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Gotta love a silkie [​IMG] You will have to put them in a wire cage if you want to break them. The wire underneath them allows air flow so you can break them that way.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I know the feeling. I have one that I just couldn't break so I gave in and figures since she's just gonna sit around on her lazy duff she might as well do something so I put some eggs under her. Now one of her sisters keeps trying to steal her eggs. I just keep taking her off the nest. I go back in and there she is again. In the white pen I had a hen that just wouldn't get up. She preferred to lay hers on the floor. Well, the rain broke her. It was either stay there or drown. She chose to get up. That side of the coop flooded one night. I"m just glad she got up or I would have a drown silkie. They now lay them in the nesting shelf but aren't sitting on them. Thank goodness. My sizzles had started laying everyday for abut 4 days so I started trading their eggs. Then they stopped. [​IMG] Not slowed down or get an egg everyday. I mean stopped. "slackers". When I need to get the eggs gone instead of going to waste they will be laying like mad and I won't have room in my bators. [​IMG] If they would lay eggs while being broody I could still swap eggs and just put them under them to hatch out instead of worrying about full bators. [​IMG]

But NOOOOOOO. They just don't cooperate. I still love them anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by