These chickens are driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mountainchick5, Jan 10, 2010.

1. mountainchick5

mountainchick5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Pine,Colorado
    It's past ten pm here (and really cold outside) and all I want to do is go out and close the door of the coop, say goodnight to the flock and lock them in, but NOOO, they all come running out! What is the deal?! They're like kids that want "one last drink of water" or something. I don't know if they think they'll get treats or what?They only get treats during the day. Their food and water are full, they just come running out and I try and shoo them back in, but they're CRAZY! They think it's time to play or something. They used to be really good and just sit there while I close them up, but in the last few weeks they've started this nonsense. I don't know if they're not tired yet or what? Why are they doing this?

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I think you do represent treats to them. Take a bit of boss with you and throw it in the coop they will hustle right back in there.

3. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Your chickens are doing this because they have SRCS(Spoiled Rotten Chicken Syndrome) as my DW calls it. As was mentioned earlier post, just take them a snack and this will calm the symptoms for a while.

4. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    My chickens used to do this when I go to lock them up. They run out to greet me and then I couldn't get them back in. I started leaving a container of BOSS in the barn since that is there favorite treat. I stand still, toss a few on the ground and call, "Chickie,Chickie,Chickie" until everyone figured out that those words in that tone means Mommy has BOSS. Now they run out to greet me but everyone folows me to their pen where I scatter the BOSS when I want to lock them in. It works really well but I have to be careful walking with 30 hens running all around my feet begging for the yummies. I wanted them to learn to come quickly if I call in case I ever need them in a hurry. I think it took all of 4 days doing this 2-3 times a day before they got it figured out. You might want to try it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  5. mountainchick5

mountainchick5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Pine,Colorado
    I am so glad my chickens finally love me (ok, so they love the treats) I did this last night and they all ran in, except a few who tried to run out with their treat, but they were easy to get back in. I'm glad I'm not the only one with crazies! and it is hard not stepping on them when I have the goods!

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Do you have the yard light up like a football field???? ;-)

I honestly have never heard of chickens leaving the roost and running out into the dark. New one on me

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Quote:Yeah, that's odd, is there a light on in the coop?

8. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Mine will come out if it's just after dark to see me - but at 10 p.m I could poke them with a cattle prod and offer oatmeal and they will just open one eye - and it will be a stinky one - and that was with the place lit up like a lunchroom with a heat lamp (no I didn't really poke them with a cattle prod but I did waddle out there to check for signs of life several times in the negative digits). I think your chickens might be crazy - not you..... That kind of sounds like what happens when I give my kids chocolate at bedtime

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by