These Chickens Are Killing Me !!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lambeke1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. lambeke1

lambeke1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    When I decided I wanted chickens I thought, "It will only take me one good weekend to build the coop and run." Huh! It's been 6 weeks and I'm not finished yet. Of course I would pick the hottest days of the year to start. I'm in the process of putting up the fence. Yesterday it got to 100 degrees with a heat index of 114. Not the best conditions to be digging trenches. Oh if I could only finish this thing. These chickens better appreciate it and reward me with plenty eggs.

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I would have to say that we all have been there! It will be worth it once you start getting those gorgeous eggs I promise!

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    They WILL reward you, we ALL have done this insanity. And when you are done, you will want more. Just wait a little while....
    What breeds do you have? How many?

4. monaname

monaname Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    Pics of your hard work please! [​IMG]

5. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Oh - do let us see some pictures. We will help motivate you! [​IMG]

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'm with you on that. I got to a point I had to take a break. The heat, age, working by yourself, and the expense got me wondering if this whole egg thing is worth it. But I just about ready for the chickens. Gotta put in the ceiling, floor, and the ladders and I'm done. Whew!

7. jsbrando

jsbrando Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Bellevue
    I hear ya. I'm in the process of building my housing for the chicks. Been going on 2 weeks now and probably will finish by this weekend, but nowhere near as hot here in Seattle, WA area. We're the one place in the entire US that hasn't had a heat wave this summer. [​IMG]

8. spartman

spartman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    NE South Dakota
    Yepp.
    Been there, done that and have the feed bills to prove it.

9. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I was pretty realistic when I started to build my coop. I figured it would take me about 3-4 months.

A year later, I was done!!! [​IMG]

10. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I found the experience to be therapeutic. I was still tinkering and experimenting for months after the coop was occupied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by