These chicks are going to drive me insane.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherLynn, May 15, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok so I just snuck out of the house, squeaky front door and all ( remind me to oil it). The kids apparently played with my flashlight because its now dead. Also the car battery jumper/flood light thingie is dead too. So I grab a lighter. Yes that right. I wandered out into our field to the chicken coop with a lighter. Thats definitely going to keep everything that bites away right? So I get to the coop with my little lighter to check the chicks because its their first night out and I am a nervous wreck because I cannot hear them. You heard me right, I am awake right now because it was quiet. sigh

They are going to drive me mad I swear. I spend copious amounts of time on here sifting through every post that just might come in handy in raising these little buggers or in helping my hends, or roosters, or geese. Ahh and the bloody silkie is the worst of them because he/she does not wake up when I come check on them so I end up trying to use the lighter inside the mini coop which btw has very limited space when filled with chicks, a lighter and my head. Lazy little thing only looks up at me after I yell when I burn myself.

I might already be nuts now that I think about it. Who wanders around using a lighter as a flashlight? sigh The funny thing is, this is supposed to be my new hobby to help me relax. hahaha

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] I love the story. Plus, I feel better about my own chick anxiety!

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If it's any help at all you are not alone -- my chicks are big enough to go out... but they are not yet going out... Love the story. Too funny. Good luck with that relaxing thing!

Jenny

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    The relaxing days do come just not right away.

5. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I too feel less alone in my paranoia now! The first week they were home, I woke periodically just to check on them - if it got too quiet, if they made too much noise - it took a week to sleep! I even called from work to check! I am beyond ready for them to go out, and at the same time I am dreading their first night all alone...bet I go back to not sleeping when that happens...

I am however over the dust in the house, the pasty butts (we have a new batch of 20 chicks that are not even a week old and have had 2 pasty butts this week), wondering who is a 'he' and who is a 'she' - wish someone would lay an egg already so i could tell, and the neighbors little boy asking if there are any eggs yet! (He is 4, and I don't think he is grasping the concept of how long months are - everyday he comes to see the chickens and asks if we have eggs and every day I say not yet, in a few more months).

Oh yeah, I so feel ya on the crazy thing! I must have been a little off to get started on this long feathered road in the first place tho....

6. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    I am so glad I am not alone, and I dont even have mine yet, 4 days and counting down...I have driven myself crazy preparing and reading everything I can so I will be a good chicken mommy,, My hubby thinks I have finally crossed over to madness hehe, he wants to call me the crazy chicken lady hehe....
    Ann

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Go get a baby monitor fom walmart, thats what helps me sleep,i can hear everything going on outside when i am inside.

8. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Awww you are making me miss my newbie days! Now I am just a hardened ol' meany. Pasty butt? Pull it off. Quiet chicks, thank heavens.

I still do gently poke a chick that sleeps like the dead though!

Have fun and enjoy, the newness does go away to some extent.

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    You just made me spit water on my computer screen. That is too funny.

My children steal my flashlight too. Today I looked all over for it and finally stumbled on it much later--lying in the driveway where it had spent the night in the rain. [​IMG]

I am up for no particular reason at the moment. But next weekend I will be up all night two nights in a row while ducks hatch in my incubator. And I'm not new at this. I just can't sleep when there are babies hatching. I also wake up when the goose honks in the middle of the night (he guards the ducks and a honk in the middle of the night usually means something is prowling around the pens), when the ducklings in the brooder start peeping loudly, or if it occurs to me that my children have been unusually quiet all night long. Yeah, I'm a little nuts too.

Anyway. Your story just really hit my funny bone because I am SO there with you. [​IMG]

10. dparadise

dparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    southwest Florida
    I could just post "ditto", I keep forgetting about the baby monitor. it's an excellent idea that I should have done already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by