These darned girls better start earning their keep!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by madicakes, Aug 7, 2014.

1. madicakes

madicakes Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I have 6 hens, one of which is laying. We got our first egg from her on the 26th of July. We've gotten 8 eggs from her, all but two were double yolks. She's our speckled sussex and I love her :)

My other girls, on the other hand, had better get in gear...lol. They are all 22 weeks old at this point...so I'm hoping that they will soon start laying.

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Im in the same boat. still waiting for the first egg from my 8 young girls. it ill happen, just gotta wait it out

FYI, this is my 1,000th post [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. madicakes

Congrats on your 1,000th post!!! Woohoo!

This waiting for eggs is for the birds! :) I'm so impatient.

4. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel for you. My fifth and final rsl finally laid her first egg today. My first one started at 151/2 weeks. My last one that just laid her first today is 19.5 week old now. Just to show you how it varies...

5. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Week 22. Faverolles and Speckled Sussex.

[​IMG]

6. madicakes

When we had the girls out last night I noticed our buff brahma doing a little bit of the "squat" when my daughter approached her. Hopefully she will start laying soon!!

7. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    that's a good indicator that they will soon be laying. have any of them started practicing their egg song?

8. madicakes

There are a couple of them that sound "different", if that makes sense. Like, they talk to me differently...lol. I did hear the one that is laying sing her song the other day....it was so funny!

9. madicakes

They must have known I was talking about them...lol. Friday I went home and my EE, of all of them, had laid an egg for me that day :) It was a beautiful pale blue-green. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by