These ducks look rough! Any insight or advise??

Smashlee83

Songster
Apr 9, 2021
Houston
We previously had two Drakes that were best friends. After a predator got one of the drakes we decided to get the lone boy some girls to keep him company. I purchased a new coop just for them and found someone near by on Craigslist that had laying hens available. I paid $30 each for these babies and when I went to pick them out I kind of panicked and took the most pathetic looking ones. The guy didn't seem to know anything about them and grabbed two that looked so sad I couldn't not take them. I am not sure if they are just young, or lowest in the pecking order or what. They are skinny, They are molting (maybe?) and filthy!

Grey Duck.jpg
Both Duciks.jpg
Brown Duck bill.jpg

We previously had two Drakes that were best friends. After a predator got one of the drakes we decided to get the lone boy some girls to keep him company. I purchased a new coop just for them and found someone near by on Craigslist that had laying hens available. I paid $30 each for these babies and when I went to pick them out I kind of panicked and took the most pathetic looking ones. The guy didn't seem to know anything about them and grabbed two that looked so sad I couldn't not take them. I am not sure if they are just young, or lowest in the pecking order or what. They are skinny, They are molting (maybe?) and filthy!

View attachment 2807278View attachment 2807279View attachment 2807280
Also, if you ever want more pm me. I wouldn't charge you nearly that much.

If you think they could be sick, you might give them some electrolytes and vitamins like nutritional/brewers yeast or vitamin B just in case.

Thank you everyone I feel better. We will give them lots and lots of love, snacks and water. Any ideas on the breeds?

Also, the Rouen nostrils look a little gunky. Should I clean them or just let her work it out herself with plenty of fresh water?

Thank you everyone I feel better. We will give them lots and lots of love, snacks and water. Any ideas on the breeds?

Also, the Rouen nostrils look a little gunky. Should I clean them or just let her work it out herself with plenty of fresh water?
Yeah, make sure they have plenty of fresh water. If it were me, I would start them out on some b complex just to help give them a boost.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom