These "Golden Comets" are awesome!! Your favorite RSL/production strain?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sarahandbray, Nov 1, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    I am relatively new to chickens, but having a blast!
    Just wanted to say the Golden Comets I bought off a very nice gentleman (who got them at Tractor Supply) are AWESOME! A smidge bossy (these guys a are 22-weeks and my pullets are 11-weeks) but beautiful, solid, fluffy, and egg-laying machines! Their eggs are large, beautiful medium-dark brown, and extremely reliable each morning.

I am hoping to have chickens for two purposes: layers and just pretty/fun and if they lay, that's great, too.

I would love to make these Golden Comets my production hens, but they came from Mt. Healthy Hatchery (according to this guy's local TSC when I called) and I'm afraid to buy from them due to the Salmonella outbreaks they've had.

Where else can I get nice, solid, fluffy-looking Red Sex Link egg-laying machines? My RSL's from McMurray are puny in comparison and no where near as "pretty."

(I know pretty shouldn't matter as much, but these gals look like real "barnyard chickens"--throw some Delawares and Barred Rocks in, and it's so picturesque!)

2. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've had sex links over the years from four different hatcheries including Murray McMurray, and I would recommend the Red Sex Links sold under the Golden Sex Link label at Dunlap Hatchery (https://www.dunlaphatchery.net/Birds/Standards/Standards.aspx). They, along with Dunlap's Black Sex Links, have been my best layers, consistently laying over 300 eggs per hen per year. Both of them are beautiful and friendly egg laying machines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by