1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

These home cures saved my hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabriellebw, Jun 26, 2011.

1. gabriellebw

gabriellebw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    My two year old Barred Rock was very ill a week ago. She was lethargic, would not eat, had diarrhea, and was sleeping outside on the perch. She quickly lost tons of weight. We did not have the money to take her to the vet or to buy expensive antibiotics. I didn't think that she would make it, and was feeling pretty helpless. In a last-ditch effort, looked on the forum and consulted other internet sources. I found numerous tips for sick chickens. I tried a blend of what I read and she is almost back to her old self! I want to share these in case others need affordable home remedies.

Garlic: 2 crushed cloves of garlic in the water once a day (antibacterial)
    Apple Cider Vinegar: 1 half a cup of apple cider vinegar in water once a day (Proboiotics and acidity levels)
    Grapefruit Seed Extract: one small drop of concentrated formula in 3/4 cup water, fed by syringe once a day (antibacterial)
    Yogurt offered in the morning (to get her to eat and to provide probiotics to counter effects of grapefruit seed)
    Gatorade: Small amount in water each day (electrolytes) She was drinking too much and not eating enough. The Gatorade helped ward off dehydration until she started eating again

I am not sure if the combination of these worked, or if there was one silver bullet, but either way she made an amazing recovery. I was really surprised at how well these simple remedies worked! I would highly recommend them if you have a sick bird.

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:What dilution did you use? 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar to how much water?

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Wow !!! That's great!!! [​IMG]

4. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    When I add ACV to their water (just a small amt couple T's to a gal) the gals didn't drink as much it concerned me after a few days that they would dehydrate (it was hot ) so I stopped. I give ACV to my dog & cat in their food but in water they also object [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. gabriellebw

gabriellebw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    My girls didn't seem to mind. This might be due to the fact that I added Gatorade...

I added a half a cup of ACV to their gallon water dispenser.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by