These poor eggs update and question post 4?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Mar 24, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Disclamer... 90% of these issues are due to things other then my LG .
    My poor eggs better be pretty reselient , yesterday for no reason my bator droped to the low 80's then went back up in about 30 minutes, I woke up this morning and my power was out and again the eggs were in the low 80's figured out it was the breakers flipped them and the bator started to heat up , the power went out again, flipped the breakers and the bator started to heat back up , about an hour later the power went out again went in and flipped the breakers , got distracted by haveing to pick up and do a little spot house work ( I have a 3 year old) after about 20-30 minutes I went to check to see if the temp had gone back to normal, It was 107:hit [​IMG] [​IMG], I have been worried by the low temp drops but I was completly horriefied by the spike, [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So what do you all think , I had 36 eggs with bouncy babies in them last night , Eggs are resilent right theyll be ok ?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I am thinking you might want to check them again tonight

3. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Update.
    I havent had any more power outages ( Im a little nervous about what would be tripping all my breakers over and over when I dont have anything new plugged in, that is when Im not worried about my eggs,)
    I dont think Ill be getting to much sleep tonight Ill be scared my fuse box will blow or something or at least the power will go out again. I have moved the egg on day 19 back into my LG for the night , Its not pipped and Im worried if the power goes out my home made bator has a lot thinner styrophome and will drop temp alot faster.
    Im hopeing if I have the humidity in there up to about 50% tonight it will be humid enough for that egg but not to humid for the rest , I bet I spend all day stareing at an egg tammrow , Im hopeing it wont have pipped when I get up so I can move it back to the hatcher with minmal loss of humidity and such.

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Update
    I candled all the eggs tonight everyone that had movement last night when I candled had movement tonight [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Im so glad all the temp issues didnt kill them. I do have a question though , SHould I candle them again in a day or two to make shure that they wernt effected for shure?

5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    I just candle at 10days then again as I'm putting them in the hatcher. But with all the outages(we have had some too) I can see and have done the candling more then. I could be the bator setting off the breaker check and see the wattage the bator and plug are. Good luck with a perfect hatch!

7. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Thank You [​IMG]

8. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    The first time we incubated eggs was a mess. We had a old incubator up at the school, it heated up to 145 the eggs just kinna blew up! Then we got a new incubato tryed again... when I was not there the kids kept opening the incubator the temps where all over the place. Out of 50 eggs 30 hatched about 15 had problems (deformed stuck in egg and so on). I ordered eggs about 4 months ago for them again and out of 50... 1 hatched.
    Now I keep the incubator here or we just tape it when we do it at school, as some kids just cant keep there hands out. LOL
    But I must say I've had really bad luck with shipped and shipping eggs lately. Ordered 1 dz sizzle and 1 dz Marans and only had 1 of each breed hatch here at home. So with shipping comes a chance.
    I have shipped lots of eggs and last week is the first time I have had any problems with me shipping them. One person got there and 6 where broke, the other person still has not got theres and it has been a week! Last time when I shipped I wrapped each egg in bubble wrap, put them in tin containers and wrap them in tin foil, then put bubble wrap around that and all around them in box. So I have to say very upsetting news to hear any being broke.
    I really do hope yours make it so you can tell everone how tough these eggs can be shipping and power outages are so common so with these things happening it is great to hear of some good luck!
    I'm very excited this week as I'm getting new BIG incubator will hold over 200 chicken eggs! CANT WAIT!!!

9. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    oohh gratz on the new incubator , I bet you have really good luck with it.
    Yeah shipped eggs are a risky thing . Though I must say at day five out of the dozen eggs my friend gave me her kids gatherd for me only 3 or 4 look like they might be doing anything wich is wierd they werent shipped or frozen or anything.
    with all the temp drops though they may just be behind we shall see.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I would not open the bator to candle after day 18. Duct tape the thing shut if you have to. [​IMG] There's nothing you can do anyway at this point but wait and see what hatches and what doesn't so there's no point risking them candling. Taking them out or opening it to remove one can kill them. I actually have more losses from humidity drops before they pip than after. Breaking the internal membrane is when humidity is most important in my opinion. Then again when pipping the shell and outer membrane. After that they have a breathing hole and even if they get stuck usually won't die before the others get done hatching. Then you can just help them finish and they should be ready. I try to make sure all the eggs have at least pipped before removing dry chicks and I have a lot less losses than if I try to slip early hatchers out before majority have pipped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by