These roo's are BFF!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lottyloo, Nov 9, 2010.

1. lottyloo

lottyloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    I raised 2 chicks a couple of months ago hoping they would be hens but... they turned out to be great BIG roo's!!
    They are inseperable, always together, sleep together, play together, eat together its so sweet. And they are both very friendly [​IMG]

Heres the two of them when they were young and sweet [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'Black' the biggest chicken ever!! He has broken all the grips on the ramp to the coop now but ilove him to bits [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'Ginger'
    [​IMG]

The to of them on a hot day chillin in the cool stable.
    [​IMG]

2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They don't have any hens to fight over? I know my example is cross species, but in prides of lions most of the time there is just one dominant male (and his sons get chased away once they are post adolescence) but sometimes litter brothers (or whatever lions have, batch, etc.) will co-host/king their pride... just a thought. Very cute - hope they keep it up! [​IMG]

3. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

golly with those legs it looks like he could do damage to a lot more than the ramp...

4. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:wow akaxo!
    i was thinking the same thing!
    those are some tree trunks on that roo!
    what a healthy beautiful set of birds.
    I hope the stay BFF's.

[​IMG]

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    How adorable. HATE to ruin the moment and all, but enjoy it while you can. [​IMG]

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have 2 that have been raised, basically as brothers and at 7 months old, they still have a serious bro-mance going on.
    The younger one is definitely the dominant one, but they hang out together all the time and get along fine.
    So far, so good with mine. [​IMG]

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have 2 BR roos that grew up together right now they have 9 hens but very soon will have 5 more with them they get along fine a little pecking now and then but Lindy the larger one is dominate and Penguin the smaller keeps his place. They are about 21 weeks old

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    There are my 4 cockerels, all are Cochin bantams. Only 1 is frizzle, hence his name Mr Frizzle.

[​IMG]

Smokey is the top roo, he is very benevolent to the other cockerels. I've seen the others challenge each other but not toward Smokey. I think it has been widely accepted that he is top, and the others are trying to shuffle for position under him.

[​IMG]
    Perhaps it is because they are only 4 months old, and hence still juveniles, they get along great. They all were raised by me from 2 days old, and spend a lot of time together. They have about 40 other chickens to share among them, and there is way more than enough hens for each, so I'm hoping that they will stay harmonious.

Mr Frizzle is the nastiest of them all, followed by Onyx, they feel they need to assert power by intimidating and bullying the other hens into submission, and all the hens dislike these two. But they love Smokey and Ashley. Depending on how Mr Frizzle and Onyx behaves in the coming months, they might have to go into the stew pot if they are not good.

9. lottyloo

lottyloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    awhh!! [​IMG]

I love the bromance [​IMG] but i reckon these two will be heading for the stew pot as they are too big for my other birds and they are too challenging for my little old legbar cockerel.

I love your boys 'Sheila'!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by