These were advertised as Orps but look like RIRs to me... So, what are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by likethemall, Sep 23, 2016.

1. likethemall

likethemall Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    These two are 2 14-week pullets i recently added to by small backyard flock. They came form my friend's backyard flock who got them as little chicks advertised as Buff Orpingtons. At this point they look pretty much like RIRs to me: rusty red, yellow skin on their legs, overall shape seems to be a good match for RIRs... I don't have any issue with RIRs, they are excellent layers and all, but may be not such nice, friendly pets as my other chickens are (i have Ameracuanas and Barred Rocks)... Anyway, need an expert advice here: are these RIRs for sure or still may turn out to be Orps?

2. SOHC-FTW

SOHC-FTW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Fleetwood NC
    If I recall orps should have flesh or light slate colored legs.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    no way- Orps are never that color red - they should be golden buff. I think RIRS

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Rhode Reds or Production Reds. Definitely not Orpingtons.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Agreed

6. likethemall

likethemall Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

Thanks for the comments! I'm convinced now that these are RIRs, most likely Production RIRs that is.Here is a better pic: the yellow-ish legs, the color, the beaks, the eyes, the early stage combs, and the overall shape, all seem to support the RIR vote... Can't complain! It's just Oprps, as i heard (never had them), have a better chance to grow up nice, friendly, approachable birds. That may happen with RIRs too, even with Production ones, as i understand. Am i right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by