These were gifts - What breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MIKE555444, Nov 2, 2009.

1. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Previous owner did not remember the breed of these... any idea?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dbolman

dbolman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Holland, Mi
    [​IMG] Well the top three are Buff Brahmas, (I love those) then possibly a Buff Orpington and the third maybe an RIR but I am guessing on the last one..[​IMG]

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    The first ones are definitely bantam buff Brahma. I'll guess bantam buff Orpington on the next, and dubbed bantam Old English Game Bantam (often referred to as OEGB) on the last.

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Well I think the first two are very cute (same ones in both the first and second pic) and I suspect you are both correct on the breed since you agree.

On the solid redish looking ones (there are also two of these even tho not pictured) im not sure what to think. If I compare these to my HUGH BO's they are quite a bit more red. These are also VERY small (maybe 20% of full size BO's). Could they be bantam BO's??

I seens a roo like the "dark red" one and he had a large comb and big tail feathers? She/He could be a young Roo?

5. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    The red one could be a young Welsummer but I am not sure.

6. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:I do think the buff one is a bantam. That's why I said bantam buff orp. [​IMG]

I think the last one is a dubbed OEGB. "Dubbed" means the comb and wattles have been cut off. That's a common practice in that breed. But we'd need a better picture to be sure! It's definitely a roo, though. And definitely NOT a Welsummer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by