1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

These where sold as Buff Orpingtons

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Choco Maran, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    [​IMG]
    Buff Orpington?
    [​IMG]
    I have three more just like her and one that is about the color of a RIR

[​IMG]
    This is one from our eggs. What do you think she is.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! The top bird definitely looks like a buff orpington, but I don't know what the last bird is. But they're both very cute! [​IMG]

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Buff Orpington and a mixed barnyard fowl. Maybe the mixed fowl birds tail got shredded oddly, but the thick body type and tail look masculine.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Buff Orps and a mixed breed cockerel. You could probably narrow down the mix by posting the possible parent breeds by sex.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

6. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Bottom picture is a Blue Laced Red Wyndotte and a Silver Lace mix. Not sure which is hen and which is rooster though. She does have a rose comb. I'm really leaning towards hen as she has no spur bubs on her legs. But would not be upset if it where a rooster.

I'm not see the Orpington in the top picture though. There just is not the heavy body and not enough feather yet. They are 3.5 months.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The buffs are hatchery quality, that's why they don't have the size you're looking for. Plus, they're just babies still.
    The last pic is a cockerel, and not a Wyandotte. Straight comb, partially feathered legs, wrong body shape, and he's not laced. He's a mixed breed. The blur on the right may be a slw, but we can't tell from the pic.

8. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I only have Cochins and Wyandottes in that stall Chipmunk hatched from so she has to be Cochin wyandotte cross, or pure Cochin but she doesn't have the feathered legs for pure and I do not have any red Cochin. Only black , blue and Partridge.

9. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    RhodeRunner I believe she is getting a Cochin tail puff. She has Cochin in her.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Cochin mix is male. The Orpingtons are pretty typical of hatchery stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by