They ain't gonna choke themselves to death are they?? Ninja eaters!

BeccaB00

Songster
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Kansas
I have a rather odd question.
hmm.png
I have a young rooster and a young hen in a big 'coop'.

They have water at all times, food at all times unless they eat it all before morning.

But, even though they're fed daily, when I fill their stainless steel food dish they go ninja!

They think they're starving, but they eat all the time! Now I'm not worried about this.

They can eat all they want, but they are always so interested in their precious food so much

that they wont stop and get a drink. So they practically 'choke'. You can see their little throats

get bigger, and bigger, and bigger because it gets packed in there. Now, I know this question is

probably got an easy answer, but we've raised chickens for 4 years and no chickens I've ever had,

grown or young eat like this on a daily basis.
hmm.png
They wont choke themselves to death will they?

The little rooster stumbled around sneezing and falling slinging pellets all out of his mouth yesterday.

Scared me to death.
sad.png
Anyways, any answers would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

ETA: When I say their 'throats' get bigger, I do NOT mean their crops! I mean their THROATS.
tongue.png

-Becca

Last edited:
I had one like that, too. Poor Toast would eat so much, so fast, he'd choke. I was so afraid that his crop would burst or something. He gorged!

He is now an absolutley beautiful (big) rooster that shares his food lovingly with his girls. I guess some are just little gluttons to start. He is one of the biggest roos i've ever had, so maybe that had something to do with it.

What kind is yours?

(Toast is a red sex-link)

actually mine are little game birds. (no fighting what-so-ever) So they're not a big breed
hmm.png
I sure hope they turn out like Toast did!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom