They all have nasty poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kara_leigh, May 17, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    My chicks are 7 weeks old. Today I got them out of their brooder and the whole thing was covered in nasty poo and all of them had it all over their feet so I got it all over my hands when I took them out. Then, as soon as they all got out, they each poo'd again, the same kind. It looks like the ceacal (sp?) poop, but I thought that was only every so often between normal poops, not every poop? Is there anything that would cause them to only poop that kind of poop? They otherwise act normal, eat normal, everything else is normal.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What are you feeding them? Some feeds tend to make the poop smell really awful, seems to me.

3. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I'm not sure. I get it at a local feed store (MFA), and I just order "grower crumbles" and it comes in their generic bag. *shrug*

4. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    We are totally new at this,
    and have our first "running butt" chicken... The rest are fine...
    Our chicken poo, just like your pooo

Here is a picture of our first attempted yogert treatment...

[​IMG]

5. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    We also "dog kennel" seperated the poopy one out from the flock, so that her Sulmnet medicated water would not
    get drunk by the other chickens... messing up our eggs, making them inedible for 16 days!
    We are contining with her yogert treatment too.

This way her eggs will also be seperated out and discarded.

[​IMG]

6. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    When I got chicks they had pasty butt(poop stuck to their bums)and runny poop to .So I gave them some boiled egg and it cleard up after a few days. If your chicks get pasty but,you want to make sure you get it off because if you don't they wont beable to poo,and die! when your trying to get the poo off be careful
    because they get scared and try lunging out of you hands,and you don't want them to get hurt.

7. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I have been watching for pasty butt, and so far so good. They seem to be doing better today. My patio isn't covered in sticky, slimy green poo, instead I have mostly normal poo. Maybe they were just stressed out for some reason or another and that's why they were all pooing that way? I don't know.

8. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Good luck keep me posted!! lanie8

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by