They all stopped laying and I have no idea why

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHappychick, Jan 25, 2010.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    My FBCM all about a year old and my Ameraucana who already went though molt and my Brahma mix (7 birds total) have all but completely stopped laying, well actually I am pretty darn sure that only one chicken either my only blue or a black Maran is laying. It has been this way for well over a week although it dropped off slowly.

I checked for mites, the roo had some a few weeks ago around his vent and I dusted them all with an organic dust which has never bothered my birds before.

There are no mites around the vents of the girls at all, infact they are very clean. They are all a good weight nice and meatie but not fat. They have had the same light set up all winter and have been fine about 13 hours on.

None seem sick in any way at all and they are not hiding eggs as I looked everywhere in the coop and run.

I am out of ideas and have orders to fill. I put some organic Cayanne powder in their feed a few days ago and still just one egg today.

any ideas?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Hmmm. Wish I had more ideas........
    What is there normal diet? What's the temp like where you are?

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Same diet Starter mixed with layer choice oyster and grit, whatever leftovers we have as treats, occasional venison and meal worms.

I supplement protein and keep a close eye on egg shells and they have always been very thick and strong so I know calcium levels are not a problem.

I got one egg today again. def. the same bird.

4. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Our hens have been molting and slowing their egg production for the winter. We were only getting one egg a day from a started pullet, but now we have started to get an egg from her mother and from another hen.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Susan.. My birds are spoiled rotten as well-heated coops and all-lights you name it I went from 2+ doz eggs a day down to 11 today! Its been like this for 2 weeks now-In fact some stopped laying completely going on 3 weeks now! Brats LOL..They have everything they could possibly need to lay eggs-healthy and all-still no eggs. Oh and My one coop...noeggs either 10 of them in it!

6. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Is it possible that your hens got frightened by a predator? That will shut them down for awhile.

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Susan.. My birds are spoiled rotten as well-heated coops and all-lights you name it I went from 2+ doz eggs a day down to 11 today! Its been like this for 2 weeks now-In fact some stopped laying completely going on 3 weeks now! Brats LOL..They have everything they could possibly need to lay eggs-healthy and all-still no eggs. Oh and My one coop...noeggs either 10 of them in it!

ok well at least its not just me [​IMG]

8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:No I dont think so there is a hawk always overhead but they are nice and safe in the coop and run and are locked into the coop at night.

i think they might be too FAT! I was picking them all up and thought that they all were quiet heavy, I can still feel the keel bone but it does not stick out much. How much should a FBCM hen weigh??? They have been cooped up more than normal this year maybe they are not excersizing enough? I am trying to secure a larger area that will be safe from the hawk but they still have 8 times the amount of space they need if not much more so its not like they cant move around a lot, but maybe not enough.....

I am really at a loss, if they just took a break I am fine with that (although customers might get po'ed ) but if there is something wrong I want to fix it before it becomes a real problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by