1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They all want to lay in one box...sigh

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bragabit, Apr 14, 2009.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    We have 8 hens and 16 nest boxes. They are filled with pine shavings. The hens have kicked out most of the shavings. The big problem is they all want to lay in one box. The problem with that is the eggs get cracked from all the hustle and bustle. How can we encourage them to use the other boxes?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    All you can do is add golf balls or fake eggs to the other nests.

Other then that you just have to collect eggs more often, if that is possible in your situation.

Matt

3. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Block off the favorite box and see if they pick some other box, then after a few days open up the original favorite box. It may not work but it is worth a try.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    We have some hens that like to lay in the same box. I guess they think if one hen likes that nest then it must be a good one [​IMG] lol I just let them do it but I don't have many cracked eggs from it either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by