THEY ARE ALIVE! help please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kessidy, May 16, 2008.

1. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Now what?

We are on day 24. I thought they had died. I candled the one late last night and saw that it had grown, but no movement and nothing in air hole so I thought I had killed them. So I just put a tiny hole in one of the eggs right where the air sac is and the chick started screaming at me "PEEP PEEP PEEP!" The shell fet very dry and hard, though my humity seems ok. I have to wonder if that is why they arent' hatching(shell to dry and hard?)

What do I do now? I put a tiny piece of tape over the pip I made until I could come here and see what to do now. Help please.

Temp has been consistant at 101-101.5. Has gotten as high as 102 though. Temp shouldnt' be an issue for late hatch. (Still air hova-bator 1602N) chicken eggs

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    What are you hatching? Did the membrane look very white and does it comform tightly to the chick? Also, are you absolutely positive your thermometer is accurate? You should always have at least 2 thermometers to check against each other.....

3. Kessidy

May 13, 2008
    I edited. Chickens.. golden sex-link. the hole was to tiny to see membrane. This is he firsttime I have ever hatched so I am not sure what to look for.

4. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Try peeling back just a BIT of shell - I use tweezers to kind of pinch/crack so I don't break too much. Use a flashlight to look down into the hole and see if you can see the membrane. BE SURE YOU ARE IN THE BIGGEST PART OF THE AIRSAC to do this....

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Chicks can take alot longer than 21 days when temps have been low or too much opening the incubator... I've never pipped a hole in a late egg but I would take the tape back off and leave the eggs alone...if they are meant to hatch out they will...opening the incubator alot will cause a late hatch with the temps and humidity...my thoughts...

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I had to help one out. Chip of tiny pieces of shell with tweezers. Read the post on how to help. Its stickied at the top of the hatching section in the "Read me"

7. Kessidy

May 13, 2008
    The membrane is very white, but I do not think it looks like it has conformed to the chick, but I can not tell 100%. It moves up and down with the chick ... breathing?? maybe???

I had actually read the helping a chick hatch post which is why I tried to pip to see if it was alive.

It didn't peep at me at all this time.

8. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Does it look sunken in? Get a warm wet paper towel and drop 1 MAYBE 2 drops of water to moisten the membrane. If it is still very riddled with veins then it isn't ready to hatch.....

9. Kessidy

May 13, 2008
    It is sunken in. I see no viens. I am heating a bathroom with a space heater and hot shower water for humidity then will take it out again and to the wet towel and a drop of water. Will return to report in a few minutes.

10. Kessidy

May 13, 2008
    ok, the membrane was pretty dry and after a small drip of water I can see that it is tight against the chick. There are some viens that i can see now though. Not sure what is normal but I could see 3.

I also added more water to the bator, and a wet towel. My humidity gage must be crap. It is one I found that is used for lizard cages and it is a round plastic thing with yellow and green colors. no idea what brand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by