They are big and beautiful, but what are they???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bockbock2008, Dec 30, 2010.

1. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I bought this trio at a poultry auction last summer and didin't really think they were what they were advertised for but I liked them and bought them anyway. They were listed as cochin splashes but [​IMG]

They all have single combs and very poorly feathered legs. But the rooster is HUGE!! And I like big birds [​IMG]

They kinda look like look like lemon blue cohins but very seriously doubt thats what they are. WHat do they look like to you??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    They may be cochin crosses....what color eggs do the girls lay? I have an easter egger who looks similar. Maybe Blue cochin x Buff Orp? Or something similar. Pretty birds.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Looks like mutts to me [​IMG]

4. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Quote:It sounds awful, but I don't know. Unless I catch them in the act, I don't know who lays what as most of my run together unless they are seperated out for breeding.

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    No, I have the same problem here....unless I see one in the box laying, I have no idea who lays what.

They really just look like big mixed birds.....if their legs had no feathering, I wouldn't even guess them to be a cochin cross. As long as they're pretty and you like them..... [​IMG]

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    They don't have Cochin builds so I would have to say they are crosses. Beautiful birds though.

7. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i say you better start a breeding project... BEAUTIFUL

8. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:i agree. you should breed them, i doubt they will breed true but it would be interesting.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're BLR Wyandotte crosses. Cochins have a large, round rump and a single comb, plus different coloring that would pass. . .

The first looks to have a rose comb, the second almost a rose comb.

They all have a body very similar to Wyandottes, the last two are splash colored.

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:That's what I was thinking as well. Regardless, they are quite pretty birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by