They are chasing her out!

comp6512

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
So I have this young hen that somehow got her leg twisted. She was limping and falling down a lot. I separated her from the flock and she was living in a pet carrier on the porch for about ten days now. She is getting better, so I let her in with the other chickens to run around all day, and everything seemed fine.

But when it started getting dark and all chickens started to settle on their roosts in the coop, this hen was chased out by them. I am not kidding. Every time she tried to get into the coop, one or more of the chickens, mostly roos, chased her out and pecked her real bad. So tonight she is sleeping on the porch again, alone.

I could try to put her in when it's dark, but afraid they still will peck her to death.

What should I do? BTW, I don't mind having one chicken living on the porch, but think it's unnatural for the chicken herself. Or should I wait until she completely healed and there is no sign of weakness?

You will need to re-introduce her to the flock like you would a new chicken to the flock. Since she's been gone she lost her place/pecking order.

They are getting along fine during the day? If so--I would keep her with the others as much as possible, and crate her up at night for a few nights. I bet they will finely settle down and accept her. If not, you could sneak her in at night, set your alarm and check on them at daybreak. She's lost her place on the roost!

Update: the hen is doing just fine!!!
wee.gif

After a couple of days running around with the other chickens during the day, I set her on the roost and watched then all settle. There was a fair amount of squabling, as usual, but my girl asserted herself! Not that I liked that, but she even pecked on a couple of other chickens.

She still has some difficult time holding on to a roost (2x4 boards), but at least she is there with them and "found her nest space"!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom