They are Coming!

Chihiro

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Hello everyone!

I have some goslings that are starting to pip and so I went to turn on my make-shift brooder but there's one problem: the light bulbs aren't working! I live far away from town so I can't really go and buy new ones right away. I have some hot water bottles however, so I was wondering if these will be ok to use to keep the little goslings warm? If not, then are there other alternatives?

Unless you are brooding them outside where its cold you can use regular light bulbs in the lamps, just put them lower and measure the temperature, keep lowering or increasing the bulb wattage until you get to the desired temperature. Or you should be able to leave them in the incubator while you go to the store. The problem with hot water bottles is that they lose heat and that could be a real problem for that young.

Unless you are brooding them outside where its cold you can use regular light bulbs in the lamps, just put them lower and measure the temperature, keep lowering or increasing the bulb wattage until you get to the desired temperature. Or you should be able to leave them in the incubator while you go to the store. The problem with hot water bottles is that they lose heat and that could be a real problem for that young.
My geese incubate the eggs, but I´ve had a number of newly-hatched indoors, and I just use a normal desk lamp 100w or 60w, depends ewhat I have,over or in (depending on the temperature and bulb) a cardboard box, and they do fine.

Hello everyone!

I have some goslings that are starting to pip and so I went to turn on my make-shift brooder but there's one problem: the light bulbs aren't working! I live far away from town so I can't really go and buy new ones right away. I have some hot water bottles however, so I was wondering if these will be ok to use to keep the little goslings warm? If not, then are there other alternatives?

So, what are you managing to do with the babes? Don´t forget pics when they´re all fluffed up! All mine have now passed that stage, so we need more fluffies!

Back
Top Bottom