they are crackin me up!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rooneytune, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    My chicks are seriously on crack... one will pick up a pine shaving and start running around their box, then all the other girls start chasing her to get the piece! They are too cute! Should I be giving them toys or something to play with? [​IMG]:weee

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

No, they have their own: pine shavings! The dark ones are particularly fun for them to keep away from each other.

Wait until you give them treats like mealworms, or live crickets.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Hmm. They probably don't absolutely need any toys, but I suppose you could, just to see what happens. Chances are, at first they'll be terrified of it, and then one will approach it and peck at it, and then the others will join in, and then after awhile they'll act like it's barely even there. [​IMG] Chicks are funny.

I've found that my chicks typically appreciate food treats much more than objects or toys.

And, [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    We call that chick Rugby [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    [​IMG] I can see it in my mind and it's hilarious!

6. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    Quote:what age do I start giving them those????

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I wait until they're about 2 weeks old. Any treats like those and the chicks will also need grit (I use just plain old construction sand - not "play" sand, but all purpose sand bought in 50# bags at Lowe's or Home Depot) to digest 'em.

Any time you give chicks treats that are NOT finely chopped hard-boiled eggs, or scrambled eggs, or shredded mozzarella cheese, you must provide grit for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by