They are dead! So Sad.....

Kathryn4629

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Colbert, WA
So my Mom forgot to lock up the girls last night while I was out of town... I bet you can guess what happened.
sad.png
I got home at about 11:00am today and went out to say hello to the girls and two out of three were dead.
hit.gif
hit.gif

What ever killed them didn't even eat them. The heads were gone and bodies were somewhat torn up. Stepdad came over to check it out and thinks it was a cat that did it by looking at the tracks. The funny thing is the lady two doors down has about 10 wild cats she feeds. These cats are scary!!! I have seen them in the garden/chicken area before, going after are cat. What do I do? We are going to set a live trap tonight, what do I do if we catch one of the cats? Can I turn her in somewhere?

The weird thing is that the neighbors on all 3 sides have chickens that they dont lock up at night and have had them for years. We only got chickens a few months ago, why us?

I guess the worst part is now I have one lonley hen now. If anyone lives around the Lewiston Idaho area and has some extra laying hens, I would love to buy them off you! I am sooo sad. They all had just started laying really good to.
hit.gif

Sorry to hear such sad news!!!
hit.gif
I haven't even gotten my chicks yet & I just know I'd be devastated if something like that happened.
hugs.gif

BTW....I spell my daughters name the same way as you do!

So sorry for your loss! We have had that happen to us in the past too. We have had oppsums, raccoons, and skunks all kill our birds. All have eaten the heads off, some eat part of the bird.

I hope that someone lives close so you can find a friend for your lonely hen.
hugs.gif

Sounds like a raccoon - if the lady is feeding wild cats, I doubt they would kill your hens - I feed wild cats and they don't kill the hens or the chicks. But a raccoon did

hit.gif
So sad to hear about this! A fox has killed three of my hens and ate the heads off. I guess a lot of predators do this.

Back
Top Bottom