They Are Hatching!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jyphotog, Jul 7, 2011.

1. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Should I take the shells out when I can?

2. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    I know I am sposed to wait until they are dry, but should I make sure the shells are out of the way?

I cannot believe they are all hatching at the same timem.

3. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    crap.. I hope they dont get stuck in the chicken wire. Its kinda big and they keep falling in it. When should I take them out?

4. scatteredeggs

scatteredeggs Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    when i asked the same question couple of weeks back, , my first hatch too - coturnix quail, right?
    they said to take them out when they're fluffed and dry and give them feed and water right away, since unlike baby chickens, baby quails don't hv reserve.
    (if there are unhatched eggs still, you need to be real quick since you don't want the humidity falling. you may have to mist with warm water to restore humidity real quick)
    fyi - when i eggtopsied my unhatched eggs - 2 pipped and several fully developed ones that maybe dried out due to my opening of the incubator. but is that corrrect? my first hatch experience with DIY styrofoam incubator. my 2 cents.

5. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    did their legs fall through the chicken wire?

6. scatteredeggs

May 2, 2011
    they didn't because i had shelf liner on the wire floor. which is also something that i corrected in my next hatch.
    the liner was thick with very small holes, that i think impeded humidity from the bowl of water below.
    i went to the dollar store and got ones which is thin and has got bigger holes.

good that you said they are hatching all at the same time.
    mine hatched 1 every few hours or so.

what's ur incubator and how many are you hatching and how many has hatched?

7. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Quote:Just a Styrofoam incubator. I got 55 eggs from Whitehouse quail. So far there are about 15 out. This is my first hatch.

8. scatteredeggs

May 2, 2011
    you're good! i hatched 9 out of 59 eggs, one fell to the bottom of the incubator and drowned in the water there. i now hv 8 healthy 12-day old, feathered baby quails.

9. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Must be humid, the window is fogged up!

10. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    I seen Hova bators with egg turners and thermostat at the feed store for 50 bucks yesterday. I may def. go that route next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by